External Admissions

Students applying for the PhD in Film Studies will identify a ­departmental Area of Concentration from the list of associated departments (e.g. English, French, Hispanic, History of Art and Architecture, Slavic, and German). This area of concentration will appear on the student’s transcript when the degree is granted.

Students will submit an application to the Film Studies PhD program. That application will be simultaneously vetted by the Associated Department. Only one application fee is required. Students who wish to pursue a MA simultaneously in a Department that offers a standalone MA (e.g. French or German) can do so.

Internal Applications

Students who have already entered graduate programs in associated departments are welcome to apply to the Film Studies PhD Program through the normal application process. If accepted into the Film Program, they are eligible to transfer a maximum of 24 credits towards the Film PhD degree requirements, and can petition to waive required courses that have been fulfilled, following normal University, School and Program regulations.

If a student who is in the Film PhD program wants to switch to a different area of concentration (e.g., from German to English) he/she is required to reapply to the new area of concentration’s departmental PhD program and be admitted before being able to change the area of concentration.

A PhD student in Film Studies who wishes to switch to a different PhD Program need to apply to that program by filling out an application for readmission.

How to Apply

Use the Arts and Sciences website's ApplyYourself® service.  Select "Film Studies-PHD" then choose your area of specialization on another pull-down menu.

Contact Film Studies graduate administrator with or 412-624-6564.

Deadlines vary dependent on the Associated Department:

  • English: December 10
  • History of Art/Architecture: December 15
  • French: January 10
  • Hispanic: January 15
  • Slavic: January 15

Note: If an Associated Department requires that you submit a writing sample in a foreign language, you must submit a second sample (either the same translated or different) in English.

All mailed materials should be sent to:
Film Studies Program
University of Pittsburgh
454 Cathedral of Learning
4200 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15260

Financial Assistance

Financial assistance for the PhD in Film Studies students (in the form of fellowships and/or teaching assistantships) will be provided by the Associated Department to which you apply (reflecting your Area of Concentration). See the relevant departmental website for the terms of that assistance.